Thursday, January 19, 2006

Almost Like Winning the Lottery

A few days ago, my husband and I were talking about how our son Harry’s hair looks good, looks good, and the next day is too long and looks bad. So after school today, I took him for a haircut. When he was younger and hard to manage he got the twenty dollar cut at the old fashioned barber shop downtown where my husband has been going since he was ten. Now, for the past 3 years or so, it’s Supercuts. I walk out of there for just $11.95 plus tip so I find it tremendously thrilling and Harry enjoys it.

We had a very nice stylist named Denise, who was very attentive and into the cut. She was a good sport when Harry announced his ability to wiggle his ears, and kept displaying his skill while she trimmed around his ears as they went up and down, up and down. As I sat in the next chair keeping an eye on the cut, I noticed a big sticker running across the mirror in front of the chair I was sitting in. It said something like “Did we ask you if you wanted a shampoo treatment?” In smaller letters next to it, it said something like “if not, your haircut is free.” Well, Denise never asked! Never even HINTED. Could that possibly mean a FREE HAIRCUT for Harry? I was embarrassingly excited over the prospect of a free twelve dollar haircut. So, how to cash in on my good fortune? Denise was very nice and giving Harry a fine cut. I also figured that Supercuts is not able to offer a hearty income to its stylists. Would Denise get in trouble for not offering a shampoo service and forcing the shop to give a free haircut? Don’t get me wrong, I wanted the free cut. I could feel the extra money in my pocket. But I didn’t want Denise to get into trouble. I sat thinking about my approach, when I noticed another sticker on the mirror in front of Harry’s chair. This one said something to the effect “Did we ask you if you wanted a color treatment?” Like the other sticker it added “if not, your haircut is free.” Wow, they were serious about this free haircut stuff. I doubt many 7 year old boys need color treatments, but I figured this was my way in. I looked up at Harry’s mirror and said “Hey Harry, are you getting a color treatment today?” We all laughed. It was time to make my move. I swung around to my mirror and looked up at the big sticker. “Wow, free haircut for not asking about a shampoo treatment!” Denise was mid cut with her shears in one hand, comb in the other and she laughed. Not exactly what I had hoped for. Denise then started talking about a really good hair product for dandruff and I asked all kinds of questions thinking my suck up move might get me the free cut. Nope, I just learned about a dandruff shampoo you can also use on really dry skin.

The haircut complete, and Harry looking handsome, it was time to go. While standing at the register awaiting my final chance to score, a different stylist greeted a customer and asked very clearly “will you be wanting a shampoo or color service today?” I looked at Denise. Denise looked at me. She said “that’s $11.95.” I paid and gave her a tip. The free haircut had slipped through my fingers. Her jugular was there, healthy and plump, but I could not go after it. I whimped out. I lacked the killer instinct.

Ninety minutes have now passed since I paid up and I know now it’s for the best. I had planned to pay for the cut, so I wasn’t out anything. It would have been sweet, but I’d like to think my lack of assertiveness saved a nice woman her job.

But if it was a twenty dollar cut, she’d be toast.

2 Comments:

Blogger Frank Baron said...

LOL.

Beauty Mog! :)

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did the right thing. I'm proud of your self-restraint. $20 haircuts for 7-year-olds, on the other hand, is highway robbery and should be punished by any means available, including the dirty pool you were contemplating.

Barber Serville gives kids stripes of color if they ask.

:) Mimi

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home