Saturday, March 25, 2006

Will Dolly Parton Write A Song About Me?

It happened. After 8 years of full-time momhood, I have returned to The Work Force. It’s only been 2 weeks, a minimum of 10 hours a week (I've done 17.5 and 24 so far) but I do have a few things to report.

First of all, the job I got is working for a local company that makes prosthetics and orthotics. (Still working on proper latin for orthotic vs. orthosis vs. orthoses. So for now, I’ll go with the commonly used but apparently incorrect term “orthotic.") I got to know the good folks there while writing the content for their website. A few months I got an email wondering if I knew of anyone who might be interested in a marketing position at their company. Sitting at my desk reading the email, I practically stood up and did the Horseshack “Oh Oh Oh, pick me.” It took some time to bring it all together, but happily we did. I am employed.

I was at my last office type job for 2 years when I quit to find a job working for a print publisher in New York City. About 2 weeks after meeting headhunter in NYC, I found out I was pregnant. It didn’t make sense to purse a job that would involve a 3 hour a day commute at that point, so instead I became a full time nester. When Harry turned 1, I got a job in a local chain mega-bookstore 2 nights a week, and 9-5 Saturdays. That was great for 2 years but when I became pregnant with Graham, I was so sick I had to stop working. When Graham turned 1, I started working Saturday nights at a group home for teenage girls in crisis. I left after a year for various reasons, one of which was I simply could not keep up with the social habits of 15 year old girls who wanted to go see movies that started at like, 10:00. AT NIGHT!

So, unemployed, it got me started once again tinkering with writing. That led me to find out friend/neighbor Amy was a web designer, and I ended up doing some work with her, and I met the prosthetics people who are now my employers.

So, what do I want to report about my new job?

First, and most importantly, I am really tired. One day last week I actually worked 9 - 5:30. For someone who has grown accustomed to working in 15 minute spurts over the past few years, it was enormously draining but also very exhilarating. I have literally been ready to fall asleep with my head in my dinner plate. This is after working 24 hours in one week. I still get up early and do all the kid and house stuff I need to do, and then head off to work.

Second, I am very nervous. Never a great organizer, I find myself sitting at my work desk and trying to figure out where to put everything. And how should I track my projects? At my last office job 8 years ago, there was no access to high technology. We had those old one piece Macs with interoffice email. No internet. No fancy software. So, I have never worked in a “modern office.” Right now I am trying to organize myself via computer. Time will tell but so far so good.

Third, I am trying to do a bit too much. My mantra is “it’s a marathon not a sprint” but I am just so darn excited! I know that will fade a bit, but for now I am enjoying the experience. It feels great to be out among nice professionals, working in a truly fascinating field (I held a $50,000 computerized leg), and making some money.

So how I am celebrating my return to work? By taking time off in 3 weeks to go visit family in Colorado for 5 days. Some things are hard to give up.

3 Comments:

Blogger Frank Baron said...

So...fess up.

Did ya stroke the leg?

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tell frank what you REALLY did with that leg (although this IS a family blog....)

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the new job, mog!

(presuming it would be inappropriate to say "break a leg.")

... wanders off humming a ZZ Top tune...

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home